MRC Legal Ltd – Complaints Handling Policy and Procedure
We aim to provide excellent legal services to all our clients.
We value our relationship with our clients and would hope to be able to resolve any complaint in an open and fair manner.
However, we understand that sometimes you may have concerns or complaints that need to be addressed in order to help us effectively monitor and improve our services.
We therefore need you to tell us if you have any concerns or complaints. This policy sets out our commitment to resolving any complaints in a timely and effective manner.
- In the event of a complaint being raised, please contact us in the first instance with full details of the complaint.
- Upon receipt of a written complaint, we shall acknowledge receipt within 7 days of receipt and shall provide a copy of this policy.
- The complaint will be logged and investigated by us. No charges will be made for investigating or dealing with the complaint.
- If appropriate, you will be invited to meet or discuss the complaint within 14 days of the acknowledgment letter with a view to resolving the complaint.
- If a meeting or discussion is not possible or appropriate, a full written reply to the complaint will be made within 28 days of the acknowledgement letter setting out a detailed review and response to the complaint, explaining the reasons and, if appropriate, proposing any solutions to remedy the complaint.
- At this stage, if you are still not satisfied, you shall be asked whether they wish for a review of the complaint to be carried out by an independent solicitor or barrister. The role of the independent solicitor or barrister will be to review the complaint and they shall be provided with copies of the complaint and the responses together with any other documents pertaining to the matter. Your written authority to provide the documents will be required prior to any information being sent to the independent solicitor or barrister.
- Following the independent review, we will set out our final position on the complaint in writing including an explanation of any reasons. This shall also set out details of the Legal Ombudsman. We will inform you of your right to ask the Legal Ombudsman to consider the complaint.
- The Legal Ombudsman’s contact details are Legal Ombudsman, P.O. Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ, Telephone number: 0300 555 0333, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk.
- Any complaint to the Legal Ombudsman must be made within 6 months of receiving the final written response from us or within 6 years of the date of the act or omission about which the complaint has been made (or if outside of this period, within three years of when you should reasonably have been aware of it). If your complaint does not follow the timeframes, the Legal Ombudsman may not be able to investigate the complaint.
- If there is any change to the indicated timescales, we will let you know together with an explanation of why there is a change.
Monitoring and Review
This policy will be monitored periodically by us and appropriate adjustments made to ensure that the policy remains effective and compliant with both the aim of the policy and our obligations to our clients.